10 Budget Decorating Tips


As ya'll know, I've been working on our living room lately. Today, I thought I would show you some of the changes I've made and share some of my budget decorating tips I use when trying to max out my little budget.

I'm the first to admit that I make a lot of decorating mistakes, but one thing I am good at is stretching a dollar.

Here are my top 10 budget decorating ideas.
#1. Mix and Match.
The key is using a little old and a little new. Find a few great new pieces and fill in the gaps with things you collect over time. In my experience, most of those gaps can be filled with thrift store finds....if you're willing to take the effort to look.
#2. Know where to look.
Over the years, I've scoped out nearly every thrift store in town. Most of them are not great. Several of them are amazing. I check out the amazing ones frequently, as it's a first come first serve situation. My best thrift store tips can be found here. I also frequently search for items on Craigslist (tips here) and spend a few weekends during the summer going to local garage sales and estate sales.
#3. Don't be deterred by the current color of an item.
Once you can look past the current color of an item, your whole little decorating world will change. The possibilities are endless once you understand that it's the shape that matters. You can always Rub n Buff, paint, stain, or spray paint. (Here are some great spray paint tips to get you started.)
#4. Make your own pillows.
I used to waste a lot of money buying pillows. That ended the day I discovered this.
#5. Paint furniture.
This sums up my life. Basically, just go read this.
#6. Update hardware on furniture. 
Even if you paint thrift store furniture, the hardware is usually really outdated. A really easy way to update it is to either replace the hardware all together, or to spray paint it a better color. Either way it makes a huge difference. 
#7. Make your own art.
I don't care how unartistic you think you are. I promise that you can make abstract art. Plus, if you put it in a great frame, it will look like a million bucks. I know this because about 75% of my art is really terrible and if I put it in a matted frame, Jesse usually thinks I bought it. Fact. :)
#8. Pass on the junk, buy the classics.
I've fallen into hoarder-territory several times throughout the years while thrifting. Over time, I've learned that I don't need to purchase every little item I like just because it's a dollar. I've learned the importance of waiting for those really great finds. 
My trick is to ask myself if I will like this 10 years from now. If I have to think about the answer, I need to set it down.
SET. IT. DOWN.
#9. Don't be afraid to fail.
The best part of budget decorating is that it allows you a lot of room for messing up. If you've only spent $50 on that dresser, it's not the end of the world if you ruin it because you got a wild hair to paint it pink. 
#10. Be unique.
This is my favorite tip.
 Be unique. 
In my own little journey, I've found that through limitations comes creativity. When you can't just run to (insert whatever store floats your boat here) and plop down thousands of dollars for new stuff, you're forced to think outside of the box. The minute I stopped being embarrassed about that and actually embraced the fact that I do things differently, my world blossomed. 
And I know yours will, too. 



See more:
;

Related

On a budget 1829648237217072468
item