How to Update Your Kitchen on a Budget



1. Paint Your Cabinets

I never cease to be amazed by the transformative power of paint. Hands down this is the easiest way to give your kitchen a brand new look. When I designed our kitchen back in 2006, I was obsessed with rich woods paired with vibrant reds, golds, and greens. I chose to paint the kitchen Benjamin Moore’s Million Dollar Red, and at the time loved my kitchen’s cozy, warm, coffee-house feel! However, a year later I hated it. The vibrant red was INTENSE and overstimulating. Instead of making me feel warm & cozy, I found myself feeling irritable and stressed-out by the color. I was so upset that I had made the “wrong” decorating choices and felt stuck with my selections. It took me several years to get over this unnecessary guilt and get brave enough to do something about it. Finally, I summoned the courage to grab a paint roller and  change the wall color to Sherwin Williams Sea Salt. I then became even braver and painted the cabinets Benjamin Moore’s White Dove. Lo and behold all was right with the world again! I only wished I had done it sooner. If you hate your current kitchen color choices, just paint over them.

2. Remove Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Open shelving in kitchens is an enduring trend that gives the space instant character. When making over my kitchen, I considered removing a few of the cabinet boxes and replacing them with shelves. However, that seemed like such a waste of perfectly good cabinets! In the end, I decided to remove three cabinet doors creating an open-shelf look without any of the commitment. The painted doors are stored away in the basement and can be reattached at any time.

3. Style Your Space

Styling your kitchen is an incredibly inexpensive way to make your kitchen your own. Even if you are renting or can’t afford to remodel, you can probably afford some decorative baskets, crates, dishes, and dish towels. Open shelving gives you the added bonus of being able to display your dish collections, accessories, and seasonal decor. If you have that awkward space above your cabinets, consider finishing them off with crown molding and using a minimalist approach to decorating up there. Too many baskets and objects tend to give a cluttered look, so keep it simple with a few items in a monochromatic color palette.

4. Update Your Lighting

When I couldn’t afford to change out our dated tiffany-light fixtures, I chose to DIY a temporary solution. Using the existing fixtures, I attached lanterns as globes and a drum shade to the flush-mount fixture. Sometimes you just have to get creative and find ways to improve upon what you already have!


See more:
;

Related

On a budget 1610608600857917999
item